JOB: MEDIA EDITOR (PHOTO) – NATURE
Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks a Media Editor to join our Art Team to source visual media to support our science news and journal coverage.
This role sources and creates media such as photography or video for Nature in our NYC or DC bureau. Working with the news teams, plus other creative teams of designers, journalists and multimedia editors, this role creates original media assets for publication in print and other digital platforms.
- Visual media for Nature, mostly still photography, but also some video sources
- Commissions photographers and/or videographers to create original media assets for Nature, and is comfortable providing creative ideas for photo and video shoots
- Edits photos in image editing software (such as Adobe Photoshop), with an eye to color correction and cropping/composition
- Ability to edit footage in video editing software (such as Premiere) with an eye to video length and quality
- Uploads images into our content management system for digital publishing
- Clears permissions/obtaining licenses for sourced media
- Provides caption and credit information as needed
- Negotiates with agencies, photographers and videographers in order to keep to budget
- Prioritizes workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in the media asset industry, changes in the copyright law and image-related technology
- Works pro-actively to own high standards without any supervision
Skills and qualifications:
- Excellent, proven communication skills
- Ability to work with photographers and videographers to create dynamic, original media
- Ability to work very quickly and adapt quickly during fast moving projects involving multiple types of media
- Knowledge of copyright law and image licensing agreements
- Research skills
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop to edit raw footage for color, composition and resolution
- Demonstrated knowledge of Final Cut or Premiere to edit videos for length and quality
- Actively seeks out innovative ways of using new media to tell stories
- Ability to identify and articulate what makes a good editorial image or video footage
- Ability to visualize images and video footage in an editorial context
- Excellent organization and planning skills to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects a plus
- MS Office
- 2 to 5 years media or photo editing experience gained working in a news-driven editorial environment
- Experience sourcing images and video footage for social media and other alternative platforms
- Experience commissioning photographers and organizing photo and video shoots
- Has developed a working contact list of photographers and videographers
- Familiarity with wide-range of media sources, including picture agencies, and scientific sources
- Experience of sourcing media from other publications, in particular other scientific journals, and books.
- Administration experience – budgeting, sending tear sheets, updating spreadsheets, processing invoices.
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a cover letter, including a link to your portfolio.