The Bloomberg Photo Service is looking for a contract Photo Editor to be based in Hong Kong. The role consists of expediting photos for use on all Bloomberg platforms as well as receiving, editing and sending content to clients. In addition to having an excellent understanding of news, the position also requires excellent picture judgment, advanced knowledge and experience with industry standard editing tools and a thorough understanding of journalistic ethics. Strong Photoshop, Photo Mechanic and ftp transmission skills are mandatory. 3-5 years of experience within the editorial news photography industry are required.
– Supporting internal platforms by fulfilling image requests and photo research for Bloomberg stories.
– Liaising with editors on photo content for all Bloomberg platforms
– Prioritize and update images according to relevancy on Bloomberg platforms as news updates.
– Editing and processing incoming images to select the most relevant and newsworthy content for internal & external clients.
– Making appropriate editorial decisions on illustrative imagery on Bloomberg platforms.
– Reviewing and correcting image metadata to conform to Bloomberg guidelines.
– Researching accurate information for captions.
– Handling photographer assignment briefs.
– Licensing imagery from third party sources
– Gaining permissions of use for handout imagery.
– Monitoring the content and landing pages of Bloomberg platforms to keep the sites current, ensuring prompt elimination of any technical or content errors, or content that is out of date or no longer functional.
– Monitoring and updating the photo desk diary, assist with forward planning.
– Flag breaking news and upcoming events to assignments editors.
– Stay informed and well read on business, finance and political news.
– University degree preferred in a related field such as Photography, Journalism or Communications.
– Excellent knowledge of image legal restrictions, licensing and permissions.
– 3-5 years experience in editorial news photography industry.
– Fully conversant with content image management systems such as Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, ftp transmission software etc.
– Skilled at managing, using and creating content for social media platforms.
– Ability to maintain speed, accuracy and efficiency in fast-paced environment.
– Demonstrate strong knowledge of industry style of captioning, writing editorial cutlines for web platforms and IPTC standards.
– Extensive knowledge of digital photography and camera technology.
– Strong working knowledge of global current events especially in business, finance and politics.
– Ability to quickly identify the strongest pictures within large sets of images.
– Ability to multi-task and maintain thorough attention to detail.
– Excellent writing skills, spelling and grammar.
– Excellent verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
– Ability to prioritize heavy workload and meet strict client deadlines in a global environment.
– Must be highly motivated, organized, reliable and flexible and organized.
– Available for shift hours and patterns, including evenings, weekends and holidays so must be flexible.
– Fluency in English is essential; Foreign languages a plus, especially Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Arabic, Italian etc
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 315,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government, Bloomberg New Energy Finance and Bloomberg BNA, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through the Bloomberg Professional service, television, radio, mobile, the Internet and three magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek, Bloomberg Markets and Bloomberg Pursuits, covers the world with more than 2,400 news and multimedia professionals at more than 150 bureaus in 73 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 15,000 people in 192 locations around the world.