Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks a Media Editor, to join our Art Team to Sources visual media for Nature, with priority on photography for social media platforms & engagement.
This role sources and creates media such as photography or video for digital channels for Nature, such as the social media, email newsletters, website, and other alternative platforms. Working with the Nature Briefings and engagement teams, plus other creative teams of designers, journalists and multimedia editors, this role creates original media assets for publication on alternative channels.
- Sources visual media for Nature, with priority on social media platforms & engagement
- Commissions photographers and/or videographers to create original media assets for Nature, and is comfortable providing creative ideas for photo and video shoots
- Edits photos in image editing software (such as Adobe Photoshop), with an eye to colour correction and cropping/composition
- Edits video footage in video editing software (such as FinalCut), with an eye to video length and quality
- Uploads images into our content management system for digital publishing
- Clears permissions/obtaining licenses for sourced media
- Provides caption and credit information as needed
- Negotiates with agencies, photographers and videographers in order to keep to budget
- Prioritizes workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in the media asset industry, changes in the copyright law and image-related technology
- Mentors less experienced colleagues
- Works pro-actively to own high standards without any supervision
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Excellent, proven communication skills
- Experience with mainstream social media platforms
- Ability to work with photographers and videographers to create dynamic, original media
- Ability to work very quickly and adapt quickly during fast moving projects involving multiple types of media
- Knowledge of copyright law and image licensing agreements
- Research skills with emphasis on photography
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop to edit raw footage for colour, composition and resolution
- Demonstrated knowledge of Final Cut and/or Premiere to edit videos for length and quality
- Actively seeks out innovative ways of using new media to tell stories
- Ability to identify and articulate what makes a good editorial image or video footage
- Ability to visualise images and video footage in an editorial context
- Excellent organisation and planning skills to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- MS Office
- Degree in photography, multimedia, visual arts or journalism preferred
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects a plus
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a covering letter, including a link to your portfolio, your salary expectations and notice period: https://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/jobs/622911-media-editor-nature-research
Closing date: 12th September 2017
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.