Multi stock media licensing agency Pond5 has raised $61 Million from investment houses Accel Partners and Stripes Group.
Pond5 say: ‘The funding is the first institutional investment for the company and will be used to fuel global growth, hiring, and product development.
Artists from around the world use Pond5 to upload video clips and other media, including music, photos and special effects. Those creating media projects, like films, mobile applications and video games, can then buy the royaltyfree content for their own use.’
“Our mission since day one has been to build the world’s most vibrant, artist friendly marketplace for creativity,” said Pond5 CEO and co founder Tom Bennett. “We thought very carefully about the kind of partners we wanted to join us, and we couldn’t be more excited to team up with Accel and Stripes for the next phase of our adventure.”
• Pond5 boast over 15 million media clips sourced from 30,000 artists in 127 countries.
• Artists who upload their media to the website earn 50% on sales.
• Pond5 footage has found its way into blockbuster films like Iron Man, Thor and Dallas Buyers Club, and hit television series like AMC’s The Walking Dead and NBC’s Saturday Night Live.
• Based in New York, with offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Prague, Czech Republic, Pond5 has been cashflow positive since its founding in 2006 and is doubling sales annually. The company raised a seed round of $500,000 from the New York Angels in 2008. In 2013, Pond5 acquired Pixmac, an international network of stock photos sites based in Czech Republic. It currently employs a global team of 70 people.
• View all Pond5 articles on PAN