Full-Time | $50,000-75,000 per annum depending on experience
**Applications are closed for this job**
Who we are
Magnum is a global organisation representing some of the world’s most renowned photographers.
What makes Magnum unique is the diversity of expression within its ranks, from war photographers to satirists and conceptual artists, and almost everything in between. What unifies them is their strong individual authorship and shared vision to chronicle world events, people, places through imagery and narratives – that have redefined history and transformed lives. This includes not shying away from telling the difficult stories.
The organisation is run as a collective structure with a membership that has evolved over the years to encompass the work of almost 100 diverse photographers and estates. We have offices in New York, London, and Paris, and work with press, publishers, advertising, television, galleries and museums across the world.
Magnum also has a vibrant digital platform which we use to connect with our global audience of over 5 million people by showcasing photographers’ work, offering education initiatives, and hosting special commercial events.
About the role
We are looking for an Assignments Manager to develop and expand Magnum’s relationships with US media partners and NGOs, handling incoming journalistic assignments and proactively finding support and placement for group projects and photographers’ personal work.
Reporting to the Director, Editorial Assignments you will be responsible for prospecting and managing journalistic and documentary assignments and commissions across editorial and not-for-profit markets – primarily with clients in the United States, and also in partnership with European and UK colleagues.
This involves pitching ideas to traditional publications and new/ emerging media platforms, as well as managing incoming assignment requests, coordinating with the in-house production team managing the incoming new stories.
Who you are
• Established relationships with photography directors, editors, sustainability officers, and producers built over 2+ years
• Passionate about documentary and photojournalism and strongly motivated by the idea of representing photographers’ visions
• Fascinated by global news and current affairs and be able to discuss story ideas credibly with photographers and editors
• Excellent EQ, able to build strong artist relationships, and manage multiple internal and external partners across time zones
• An excellent relationship builder with strong negotiation and communication skills
• Able to think innovatively about how to create opportunities for photographers in a constantly shifting media landscape
• Unflappable and not overwhelmed by multitasking or handling last minute projects
• A problem-solver able to ‘connect the dots’, plan ahead, and change course quickly when things aren’t working
• A collaborative team player which makes you open and eager to engage with feedback
• An entrepreneurial self-starter with go-getter attitude and a positive and upbeat nature
• Exceptionally organized with a keen eye for detail and ability to prioritize effectively
• Preferably also experience in some combination of agency, media outlet, in-house creative team or similar
• New York City
• Full time position 9.30am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday
• Office based
• Must be able to travel as needed
• $50 to $75K per annum depending on experience, paid bimonthly
• Health insurance
• Paid time off
• Commission system to be applied
What you’ll do in more detail
• Build remarkable relationships with photographers, to understand their personal work and be able to represent it persuasively to clients and partners
• Be a trusted first point of contact for US editorial and NGO clients in Magnum building a reputation for excellent responsiveness and client service
• Actively and persuasively pitch stories and book ideas to photography directors and editors based on knowledge of photographers’ work and their personal interests as we build new stories on current events.
• Maintain and develop excellent relationships with existing and new clients and partners, promoting the profile of Magnum photographers to produce possible new stories
• Collaborate closely with photographers and develop go-to market strategies for their work.
• Manage all in-coming US journalistic assignments and build new opportunities from concept development through to fulfilment and billing
• Ensure time-sensitive stories are assigned quickly and fulfilled according to the client brief Support the Director on the development of budgets and the negotiation of contracts, and terms with client to ensure fair pricing and greatest possible protection of rights
• Assist photographers in research, access, and production needs for everyday projects
• Coordinate with in-house production team to make sure stories are ready to be archives, access, and production needs for everyday projects
• For more complex assignments and group projects, provide producers with an efficient brief whilst retaining responsibility for the overall client and photographer experience
• Take care of billing for all US journalism assignments, ensure that invoices are settled on time, and take active lead on credit chasing
• Liaise with client finance and legal departments and Magnum legal when necessary
**Applications are closed for this job**