Kinolibrary is a commercial archive film agency bringing remarkable and rare archive footage to exciting global productions including Moonage Daydream, Bafta nominated feature Living and Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed the World. Our collections span the world and tell a century of stories with a particular focus on high quality locations from 70s New York to 90s Tokyo and subcultures from early hippies to acid house.
We are looking for an experienced Operations Director with excellent people and communication skills. The ideal candidate will have proven success in managing teams, meeting business objectives with a strong background in either archive research, digitisation or managing digital assets.
Are you articulate, analytical, motivated and flexible? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real impact within a dynamic company?
● Setting clear, achievable team goals based on overall business objectives and motivating the team to meet these
● Coordinating and supervising the work of a small team made up of Archive Researchers, Content Team members and Archive Operatives
● Promoting a culture of conscientiousness, enthusiasm, accountability and openness throughout the team
● Regularly and accurately reporting on departmental performance to founders and managing capacity
● Regularly evaluating the efficiency of Operations systems and processes according to company objectives and applying improvements
● Setting up, testing and implementing new systems and processes
Overview of Tasks Carried Out by the Operations Team
● Digitisation – using film scanners (35mm, 16mm, 8mm and Super 8 format) and legacy tape decks (Digibeta, U-matic, Beta SP, miniDV etc) and creating low resolution screeners from digitised files for our content team to supply to clients and create website and Youtube clips from.
● Master Orders – Creating high resolution short master clips from full films supplied to clients as the final product we licence. This task involves basic editing using Final Cut Pro, Compressor and other video editing programmes – accuracy, speed and an eye for detail are essential
● Cataloguing – keeping accurate record of our digital and physical assets – on spreadsheets and our custom DAM
● Research – Carrying out searches across our database and Dropbox to find relevant
clips to fit clients’ requests within their required timeframe.
● Selecting and creating commercial clips for our website, uploading clips and
checking metadata – involves basic editing on Final Cut and other simple video editing software
● Shotlisting commercial content
● Creating and uploading clips for our YouTube channel
Operations Director Tasks
● Leading the team, analysing progress, providing feedback and guidance, and making adjustments as needed to stay on track.
● Liaising with co-founders to make decisions for operational activities, and setting strategic goals
● Planning and monitoring the day-to-day running of the department to ensure smooth progress, raising issues and identifying solutions in a timely manner
● Acting as an internal consultant – identifying problems, designing and then implementing solutions
● Recruitment and onboarding of new team members.
● Troubleshooting of film scanner and other technical equipment
● Ad hoc cover for roles across the department
● Management of metadata quality, responsible to maintain best practices and
continuously improve search data quality
Skills and Experience
● A minimum of 5 years experience managing teams
● Ability to identify key metrics and report on departmental performance accurately Experience setting up, testing and refining new processes
● Outstanding decision making and problem-solving skills
● Organised and hardworking with a strong ability to prioritise
● Proven ability to succeed in a demanding and fast-paced environment
● A people person with effective and confident communication skills
● Ability to show initiative and proactively engage in implementing solutions
● An agile, hands-on, collaborative approach to working with new ideas and processes, readily accepts feedback and seeks out others’ viewpoints
● Desire to learn and become expert in digitisation technologies
Two or more of the below:
● Management experience in a commercial film library or post production lab
● Archival footage research experience either within a library or archive researcher or producer for documentaries
● Digitisation experience – scanning film formats 35mm, 16mm, Super 8 etc, tape digitisation of formats such as Digibeta, U-matic, Beta SP, VHS working quickly to output targets
● Experience with Digital Asset Management systems
● Application of metadata and responsibility for improving metadata and search
● Digital delivery of footage to meet tight deadlines
● Full driving licence
Salary based on experience
Hours: Full Time in the office, 10am-6pm Monday-Friday
Working From: Kinolibrary Studio in Hoxton, East London
Please apply by emailing a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with Operations Manager in the subject line.
Applications close on 26th May 2023
Please note due to the volume of applications we will only be able to respond to applicants who have been shortlisted.